The mapping system in Minecraft isn’t exactly bad, but it’s so simplistic that many people wouldn’t call it good. For one, you need to get your hands on a few items before making a map, and when you’re just starting in Minecraft, you probably don’t have all of the necessary things from the get-go. Vanilla maps are also lacking in just about every aspect – the only thing they do well points you to where copies of a held map have been planted in a frame and posted on a wall. It’s no wonder people look for tools like Rei’s Minimap mod.
Rei’s Minimap mod features faster processing than you might see in a handful of other minimap mods. This allows the minimap to be drawn quickly and without slowing down Minecraft, which isn’t the case with all minimap mods. Additionally, Rei’s Minimap keeps track of elevation levels and makes mapping out caves easy. Some minimaps won’t tell you anything about your height in the world, so they are useless for mapping out anything under the ground, in the water, or an alternate dimension, like the Nether. This is a solid mod.
There are other cool features in Rei’s Minimap mod that you don’t get from other map mods. The map will mark and designate any chunks where it would be possible for slime mobs to spawn. This is great for anyone who wants to keep horses and needs a lead to tie them to posts, as well as anyone who wants to make slime blocks and integrate them into their construction in some way. It’s a nice feature that doesn’t break the game in any way – it just makes it easier for you to track down vital resources by telling you where to look in the first place.
Another nice touch is that Rei’s Minimap mod will automatically assign colors to the map based on the colors of the objects in your world. If you’re using a resource pack that turns all the green grass in Minecraft to a purple color, for example, then all the grass on the minimap will appropriately be purple, not green. This automatic detection of colors can be buggy for textures with more than one color. However, it’s still functional enough that your minimap will look like it shows your work rather than some other place where everything is a different color.
Note: Rei’s Minimap Mod is renamed in Voxelmap mod.
- Fast processing
- Beautiful map rendering:
- Expression of semitransparent blocks
- Bump-map expression of height
- Expression of dynamically changing lighting
- Automatically generate the block colors from your texture pack
- Biome color
- Entities radar
- Cave mapping
- Waypoints (Can not teleport)
- Ingame keyconfig
- ZanMinimap frame appearance
- Indication of slime spawning chunks (Does not work in multiplayer after Minecraft 1.2)
- You can also set waypoints and remember death points. By pressing the (by default) “.” or “~” key, you can view a list of options. Macs may have issues. You can easily edit the keys from the config folder or in-game in the menu. To do this on a Mac, go to Mac HD > Users > Username > Library > Application Support > Minecraft > mods > rei_minimap > keyconfig.txt. You can find the menu hotkey and set it to whatever key you want.